Being still on the topics of drinks, I want to share with you this elegant cocktail, that is both very easy to make and will impress your guests immensely. It has been tested and I guarantee it will live up to anyone’s high gourmet standards.
Prepare the mixture and decorations in the morning, then add the champagne when guests arrive.
- 30 redcurrant stems (20 for the cocktails, 10 for decoration)
- egg white , room temperature (optional)
- 2 tbsp caster sugar
- 150ml cranberry juice
- 2½ tsp lemon juice
- 150ml fraise de bois (wild strawberry liqueur)
- 250ml vodka
- 2-3 chilled bottles of Champagne , depending on the size of your glasses
- Dip 10 redcurrant stems in the egg white, dust with caster sugar to create a frosted effect and put aside to dry (don’t store them in the fridge as the effect will be lost), or leave them plain if you prefer. Place the remaining 20 redcurrant stems in a bowl and muddle with a rolling pin to release the juice.
- Add the cranberry juice, lemon juice, fraise de bois and vodka. Stir well, then strain through a plastic sieve into a container. Store in the fridge. When you’re ready, divide the mix evenly between 10 champagne fl utes, top up very slowly with bubbly (this will keep both liquids separate in the glass) and decorate each glass with a redcurrant stem.
Recipe from olive magazine, Jan 2006